Angel Oak is estimated to be more than 400 years old. The story of the live oak begins with the "purchase" of Johns Island from the Cussoe Indians by a representative of Sir Anthony Ashley Cooper in 1675. The land upon which the tree grows was then granted to Abraham Waight in 1717. The oak garnered its name when descendant Martha Waight married Justus Angel. This same family maintained ownership of the property for 242 years. Today, the Angel Oak is owned by the City of Charleston. Authors Ruth M. Miller and Linda Lennon describe life on Johns Island through 300 years and the special place the tree has held in the hearts of Lowcountry residents. A foreword was provided by Becky Woods, communications manager for the Lowcountry Land Trust.